Outreach and consultancy provides specialist support within schools, nurseries and children’s services, to upskill staff and build capacity.
This is in order to improve SEND provision and knowledge to maximise outcomes for autistic individuals, or those with related needs.
Families will also benefit from an increased understanding of children’s needs and personalised strategies to help move their children’s learning and communication forward.
- Improve outcomes for children with autism and related needs
- Enhance the knowledge and understanding of staff or family in areas related to autism (such as effective teaching and support strategies, emotional regulation, behaviour, communication, social skills, independence and transitions)
- Increase child engagement, achievement and well-being
- Reduce anxiety and challenging behaviour
- Implement effective research-based interventions to ensure individual progress
- Establish autism friendly environment and spaces
- Avoid exclusion
- Embed good practice across the setting through ongoing monitoring and sharing of effective strategies and resources
- Ensure the personalised needs of children with autism or associated needs are met effectively
Outreach visits include:
- Child and class observations followed by action setting sessions with staff using a coaching approach (up to 5 observations in 1 day)
- Reports with actions and reviews of progress
- Review meetings with Senior Leadership and/ or Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo)
- Specialist support and advice on school systems (i.e. behaviour support plans, lunch time, one page profiles, etc.)
- Implementation and modelling of research based and good practice approaches, strategies and resources
- Bespoke interventions
- Parent support
- Training workshops
- Liaison with multi-disciplinary professionals
- Transition support
- Attendance at annual review and outcomes meetings
- Report and support for EHCP application
- Email and telephone support
Outreach visits are tailored to the needs of the school or service, in order to ensure maximum impact and sustainability.
Requirements will be identified in an initial meeting or phone call, which is free of charge and without obligation. A series of outreach visits will ensure progress and development of successful autism practice and systems across the school.
This service is suitable for:
- Schools (mainstream and special)
- Independent schools and academies
- Children’s centres
- Children’s services
- Children who are not accessing school